Moses Pergament: The Jewish Song
Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra, James DePreist.
Caprice Records proudly presents the reissuing of something notably unique: the only recording that has ever been made of Moses Pergament’s The Jewish Song. The recording was made in 1974 in conjunction with a concert performance at the Stockholm Concert Hall, and is completely unique. Neither has the music been performed as a whole since this event.
Pergament’s own sound world was based on growing up in an Orthodox Jewish home in Helsinki, and the historical, religious musical culture that he had access to. As he himself put it, it gave him the “intuitive basis for my music”. He studied the early ancient notation systems, and learned the history of Jewish musical culture.
The tremendous work The Jewish Song was composed during a three week period in 1944, at a time when the extent of the German Nazis’ crimes against humanity had just begun to be unveiled. The music, written for soprano, tenor, chorus and orchestra, takes us through history and switches between moods of deep bitterness, pride and confidence in the future. The lyrics are taken from two of the Swedish author and art historian Ragnar Josephson’s poetry collections, The Chain (1912) and Jewish Poems (1916), in which Pergament among other things found, quote, “The feelings of a true Jew. Not a despicable nationalism, but a liberating feeling of belonging, even in the midst of great suffering “.
- 1.Prelude: In Memoriam Music: Moses Pergament5'31
- 2.The Jewish Song Music: Moses Pergament6'36
- 3.Ariel Music: Moses Pergament.9'22
- 4.Spring Night in Ajalon Music: Moses Pergament4'38
- 5.The Well in Heshbon Music: Moses Pergament9'35
- 6.Adagio Music: Moses Pergament4'28
- 7.In the Enemy Camp Music: Moses Pergament1'12
- 8.May the Whip of Penjury Music: Moses Pergament2'42
- 9.Prayer for a Gentle Heart Music: Moses Pergament4'35
- 10.Intermezzo drammatico Music: Moses Pergament4'20
- 11.The Reviled Word Music: Moses Pergament5'33
- 12.Prayer for the Approaching Sabbath Music: Moses Pergament14'08
- 13.We Thank You Lord Music: Moses Pergament3'04
- Total playtime 75'43