A kind of musical “wok” of Nordic folk music in pop clothing, spiced with funk, rock and jazz – that’s how the quintet Kalabra describe their music.
Kalabra consists of Ulrika Bodén (vocals), Erik Metall (bass), Sebastian Printz-Werner (drums and percussion), Simon Stålspets (nordic bouzouki, electric guitar, harmonica, willow flute) and Markus Svensson (nyckelharpa).
The history of the group started when they performed at Norrsken (Northern Light), which is Falun Folkmusik Festival’s “Winter collection” of folk music bands. Eventually this resulted in the CD Kalabra in 1997, which received much attention in folk music circles. Since then the group have toured extensively, playing at all Swedish venues worth mentioning, e.g. Falun Folkmusik Festival, Stockholm Water Festival, Berwaldhallen, etc. They have also made several tours organized by the regional music boards.
- 1.Dagg Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: Incantation from Uppland/Icelandic washing prayer2'05
- 2.Sollåten Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: A prayer from Värmland5'00
- 3.Ymnig Mossa Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: An old love rhyme/singing game/love song3'41
- 4.Det Brinner En Eld Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: Swedish singing game5'20
- 5.Stolpe In Music: Simon Stålspets2'19
- 6.Rotor Music: Sebastian Printz-Werner2'09
- 7.Galen Man Music: Simon Stålspets Text: Simon Stålspets4'58
- 8.Före Gryningen Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: Icelandic and old Swedish proverbs/Bodén5'17
- 9.Harpans Kraft Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: Medieval ballad6'56
- 10.Sus Och Dus Music: Simon Stålspets3'08
- 11.Jespers Äventyr Music: Amanda Sedgwick Ulrika Bodén Text: Harvest song from the Balkans3'21
- 12.Sälbarnen Sover Music: Ulrika Bodén Text: Lullaby from Iceland3'33
- Total playtime